Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

mango heaven...

Do you know what these are ???




This my dear friends is a truck load of mangoes.
Heaven on the back of a truck !


We were at a playground the other day and this truck pulled up right next to us.  Our eyes nearly popped out of our heads, WOW !  never seen this many mangoes before.  The smell of the mangoes was so strong, and so sweet.

I have always thought  mangoes were the fruit of the Gods.  So delicious.  So, thankfully, they grow in abundance here in Queensland.

I remember when I was a kid, mum would buy a couple of small mangoes for our family.  It was a rare treat, because they were expensive for us, but it was better than Christmas!  I could never understand why Dad got to eat a whole mango for himself, and Mum, my sister and I had to share the other one - so not fair...but I'm making up for it now!



Look at the SIZE of this mango !

And y'know, she ate all of that!   MY baby LOVES mango, actually it must run in the family because we ALL love mango.


Not suprisingly, mangoes are healthy in so many ways.  They are rich in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.  100g of fresh mango alone will give you 25% of the  recommended daily amount of Vitamin A.  At the moment, every member of our family must be getting 100% of our daily Vitamin A from mango alone - yes we are eating truck loads.

But don't stop there....with all those fabulous Vitamins and antioxidants, mangoes are also great for your skin!  Before you throw out that mango peel, rub it (flesh side down)  all over your face.  Your face will love you for it.  It's also great as a skin exfoliant to get rid of dead skin cells. 


My kids enjoy rubbing the insides of mango skins all over themselves in the bath - too messy otherwise.


And then, Ruby discovered that the peels make great boats that stay afloat even when they are full of water!!



With such an abundance of mango, we've had mango iceblocks everyday - a healthy snack for the kids and they can't get enough. 

To make them,  puree a fresh mango and mix in a Tablespoon of natural  yoghurt.  I also added a couple of passionfruit too.

I've also frozen slices of mango for smoothies, or just to eat mmmmm......frozen grapes are yummy too!!!

And have a look at this delicious ice-cream recipe.  I've never come across an ice-cream recipe that uses egg whites !  They usually all call for egg yolks and then I never know what to do with all the left over egg whites (I've done enough pavlovas !!)  Now with yolks to spare I can make custard for a change, yum!!!


Aren't the colours fantastic !!!
MANGO CHUTNEY RECIPE

1.5 kg diced mango flesh
1-3 birdseye chilli (optional)
50g grated fresh ginger
1 lemon. zest and juice
250mL apple cider vinegar
700g brown sugar
3/4 cup sultanas
1chopped onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp turmeric

Put all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil.
Simmer gently for an hour, stirring often.
Bottle it.

I've made 2 batches of chutney so far and it is soooooo good!  I made one batch with chilli and one without,  As a result, one batch is really sweet and the other is really spicy.  I also used less sugar the first time becuase I ran out, but it was still sweet.  Now I'm eating chutney with everything!!

We are able to get boxes of  12- 15 Bowen mangoes for $15 at the moment so we are making the most of it, they probably won't be around for too much longer!!

What's your favourite way to eat mango?

No comments:

Post a Comment