Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Fabric mousepad tutorial...

Our computer sits on a glass desk which I really like.  Only problem is, the mouse doesn't work properly on the glass, so we've been using a magazine as a mouse pad for ages.  Over time, the magazine has become quite ratty and old and looks messy, so I decided to (finally) do something about it.

I bought a plain, cheap mousepad - y'know the ugly blue and black ones.  And I covered it with material.  How simple is that !  I love how it looks.  Can't believe I didn't do it much earlier.

So here's how I did it.

Materials:

a mouse pad (any shape or size will do)
material (same size as the mouse pad)
Vliesofix (same size as the mouse pad)
scissors
pen
iron
needle and thread

Vliesofix is a fusible webbing.  You can get it wherever you buy material,  I got mine from Lincraft.  It is basically like double sided sticky tape, only it's for fusing material together.

1.  Put your mouse pad on top of your material and trace around it with the pen.  Cut it out.

2. Put your mouse pad down on the paper side of the Vliesofix and trace around it with the pen.  Cut it out.


Material and Vliesofix cut out.


Here is the mouse pad when I started


3.  Iron the Vliesofix on to the material side of the mouse pad - NOT the foam side.  And iron the Vliesofix on with the paper side up.



My roll of Vliesofix with my cut out piece ironed on to the mousepad


4.   Using the needle and thread, blanket stitch around the edge of the material to prevent it from fraying.



5. Peel the backing paper off the Vliesofix that has been ironed on to the mouse pad.



6.  Now iron your material on to the mousepad, it will adhere to the Vliesofix.  So cool ! Very easy !



This is what mine looked like....



And voila !  the finished mousepad.  Looks nice and tidy now !  Very Happy.

1 comment:

  1. woaa that's cool you're so creative! :) wayy better than the magazine haha

    ReplyDelete